Wieghorst Home in El Cajon
This past year has proven to be busy and fruitful for the Wieghorst Western Heritage Center. The dedication of the Board of Directors and volunteers has produced several milestones for 2011:
• Six Board members met in the spring to craft a 5-year Strategic Plan which was adopted in July and which now sets the vision for the Museum.
• Olaf Wieghorst painted the Old West with a deep understanding of its culture and he felt that every child should know and appreciate the Indian and Cowboy/Rancher heritage of our past. This year the Museum toured over 600 3rd and 4th graders from our local schools. Each free tour included bus transportation, docent led tours of the gallery and the original Wieghorst heritage home as well as a hands-on experience with artifacts from the 1800’s.
• 2011 also ushered in a new event and smash hit in the form of the 1st Annual Western Music Jubilee held at Cuyamaca Community College in June. The packed concert hall was filled with toe-tapping cowboy music from a group of stellar performers. It was a very successful fund-raiser for the Museum. See you in June 2012 for the 2nd Annual Jubilee!
• As of November, the Museum has a new state-of-the art Website. It is very user-friendly for keeping track of our events, programs and activities. Visit us today at: www.wieghorstmuseum.org.
• The Auxiliary enjoyed its first full year of activities by sponsoring the 2nd Annual Christmas Luncheon and Auction, the Fashion show at Viejas Casino and Intermission time at the Western Music Jubilee.
As outlined in our Strategic Plan, the Board continues to look to the future and is establishing plans for growth of our physical plant. Phase I, being developed now, is a remodel of our Rea Street façade which will also allow for a hands-on student exhibit area along the north wall of the gallery. A new gallery entrance is already completed and there are plans for some wall remodeling inside the gallery.
This first Annual Fund Drive, which is an initiative from the Strategic Plan, will help secure the future of the Museum, its one-of-a-kind western heritage education programs, the Wieghorst fine art gallery and heritage home and also as a public venue for this community. We thank you for your past support and hope that you will find it possible to make a year-end donation to the Wieghorst Western Heritage Foundation. Since its inception, the Museum has utilized all of its funds to enhance the museum and it programs. You can be assured that your charitable gift will be used for the benefit of the community. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and your gift is 100% tax-deductible.
President: Wieghorst Museum